Saturday, April 14, 2007

My new Poinsettia


The new Poinsettia with the other plants on my windowsill. The Hyacinth on the left also flowers with beautiful bluish-purple flowers once in a while.

My friend Poonam gifted me this plant a few days ago. Its called a Poinsettia and belongs to the Euphorbia family. It has bright red leaves which look even brighter when lit from behind. It reminds me of the beautiful bright red tree from The Ring (2002, Dreamworks SKG).
The tree in the film is the Japanese Maple, whose fruit is called Samara. Incidentally Samarra is also my niece's name. The tree they used in the movie though was apparently fake, made with metal and plaster. The leaves were made of painted silk.
Credits for identifying the plant (and the Carpenter bee below) go to my Mom.

4 comments:

anne altman said...

pretty but poisonous!

Anand Prahlad said...

No no, I'm not breeding toxic plants on the wondow sill next to me. So sayeth wikipedia.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Poinsettia#Rumoured_toxicity

"While it is true that the plant is not very toxic, those sensitive to latex may suffer an allergic reaction and it is therefore not advisable to bring the plants into the home of sensitive individuals. If eaten, poinsettias may sometimes cause diarrhea and vomiting in animals and humans"

Ha ha, cant get over the latex sensitivity and diarrhea bit!

Sunita Mohan said...

How cool! You're growing a water hyacinth on your window sill! Somehow that pasted this big huge smile on my face.

Anand Prahlad said...

The best part of it all is that it actually blooms from time to time. It has this really gorgeous blue flower. It has to be amongst the easiest plants to maintain, as long as you have a pot that can hold a lot of water, with earth.